Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Season of Change

Today, I collected 3 of my felt paintings which had been on display at the Ucheldre Centre in Holyhead for the past 5 weeks.

I did not win any prizes in the 'Art for All' competition or sell any work, but it feels like a big step forward to actually enter competitions and display work at an exhibition.

My pieces were the only felted items at the exhibition. I'm not really sure how well my work was received as I was unable to attend the opening evening.

There were over 600 entrants to the exhibition and some of the work was outstanding.

Tomorrow is the last day of the summer holidays and I will be preparing my little girl for starting her first day at school. In many ways, we will all be returning to education. Me, P and my granddad will all be learning conversational Welsh at the school in the evenings, and my daughter will be taught entirely in Welsh by the end of the school year.

I have also enrolled on some part time art courses at Bangor University so will have a lot to occupy my time these next few months, and hopefully, a lot more to share with you here than I have had this summer.

My Granddad will be joining me on a short 'writing with intent' course hosted by Bangor University. It will be fun discussing and sharing homework with him. As it will be learning Welsh from my daughter who will inevitably pick up Welsh at a faster pace than us.

September has always felt like a time to renew energy, to stimulate the mind and learn new skills. Who knows what is in store for me on this new adventure!

15 comments:

Healing Woman said...

I am so glad to hear that you will be learning Welsh. Very few people spoke it while I was there this summer. As a matter of fact, they called upon me at a castle banquet to say a Welsh prayer my grandmother taught me. Her family came from Wales.

Art is slow to sell these days because of the worldwide economy situation. I think your display looked grand. So they were mostly all felt? Very interesting.

Jasmine said...

Hi Cheryl. I'd love to hear your Welsh prayer some time. South Wales and North Wales are very different from each other. We live in the North of Wales where they are very much into Welsh Nationalism and reviving the language. Decades ago, the Welsh were punished by the English for speaking Welsh and the language died out for a while. Language is such an important part of identity that I feel I would never fully understand the history or culture of my new home if I did not at least try to learn. Also, it would be rude to not try and learn. x

Delwyn said...

Hi Jasmine

a new learning year is ahead of you...with fine travelling companions. I have always been told my Christian name was Welsh...and that would be the only Welsh word I know.

Happy days

ArtSparker said...

Sounds like a very exciting Autumn in store for you.

lynne h said...

jasmine! you will be busy! it all sounds so good... living in wales seems so *rich* to me!

what a lot of lovely paintings on those walls... i would be doing some serious gazing if i were there in person.

happy september...

xo

Tammie Lee said...

It sounds like some amazing learning you will all be doing. Funny I just read a quote you might enjoy:

It has always seemed strange to me that in our endless discussions about education so little stress is laid on the pleasure of becoming an educated person, the enormous interest it adds to life. To be able to be caught up into the world of thought -- that is to be educated. -Edith Hamilton, educator and writer (1867-1963)

have a wonderful time learning and sharing with your family!

Manya Maratou said...

sounds so exciting, I´m happy for you

t said...

Go with it my friend. This new journey could be incredible. And having your daughter an grand dad along will be so special.

Enjoy.

xt

Gisizee said...

I just love the idea of all the generations learning together! Best of luck,J, and I hope even if this economy doesn't turn around soon enough, now that the summer is ending, September will see renewed activities for all of us -- including some sales!

Fiona said...

Exciting times.

Wanda..... said...

Going to school with your Granddad, what a memory you are creating together!

Jo Potter said...

All of your creative projects sound great to me. Learning Welsh sounds like fun too!
It is a good feeling exhibiting artwork. Just to have your art on a gallery wall and seen by others is a great buzz! :-)
I look forward to seeing your new creations from the course.
Enjoy the new Autumn song and magic.
Jo.xx

P.S. Zennor is a very special place!:-)

Caio Fern said...

it all sounds so exiting !
the exhibition, the classes ( how curious I got to know how are going to be your classes )
al everything else !!

Zaina Anwar said...

Congratulations on the display. Keep at it, its a start. You are good at what you do.

Carol Anne Strange said...

Just catching up on your blog, Jasmine. What an inspiration you are! It's lovely to see you busily creative, and constantly learning and experiencing life's riches. Wonderful! Wishing you all that you wish for, dear one. xx