Wednesday 8 September 2010

Nuno Felt and Solar Dye

My washing line shows projects that I have had on a back burner for quite a while now. To the left is a solar dyed silk that I created in the Spring before moving house. To the right you can see a large nuno felt that I have made with tussah silk and Blue Faced Leicester curls detail.


I have really liked the textured detail that can be created when using curls in nuno felt and thought that it would be a great effect for a net curtain/blind for a window.

I live in a traditional cottage with low ceilings and big black beams. The windows are cut out of 3ft thick stone walls so not much natural light gets through. Even if it did, the view onto the street is not so attractive and the weather to come will be wet and windy.



I thought plain nuno blinds would offer a warm comforting feel to the room, while still allowing natural light to diffuse into the room. I like both the curly and the silk side so this fabric offers a versatility to suit different looks and moods.

Initially I had planned to make the blinds out of the solar dyed silks, but I late felt that the patterns would make the room feel too crowded (it is a very small room).



Back in the spring my camellia tree blessed me with so many flowers. The picture to the left shows the colour the camellia's gave. It was very surprising to see such a deep purple come out of these red/pink flowers. The colour was initially much deeper than this, a rich violet, but it degraded so quickly. I left the fibres in too long. Next Spring, I intend to put the fibres and silks into the dye solution and take them out within ten minutes in order to capture this wonderful colour. I won't know how fast the colour will be, but even if I only have it for a short while before it fades I will be one very happy bunny.

The second picture shows the wet petal pulp remains from the dye pot being laid out onto silk before being rolled into a bundle, popped in a jar and left for a month to solar dye on the window sill. I much prefer this method of solar dyeing bundles to the filling the jar with water. I find the watery solution grows mouldy very quickly and gives a terrible smell and the results aren't as good as this. But I have seen other artists achieve wonderful things with their wet solar dye bundles so I will give it another go soon.



The picture to the left above shows the rust and purple tones of the silk and the picture to the right hand side shows the solar dyed silk being held in front of the white nuno to give a better idea of how the colours will mute if nuno felted. I think I will make something with double layers of silk over lapping for contrast. Watch this space :)

25 comments:

Forthvalley scribe said...

That purple is such a gorgeous colour!
I live in a house with thick walls, too - you have to steal every beam of light you can!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Beautiful fabric.. I love soft diffused light and the texture would make it even more lovely..

Sparklyjools said...

Goodness, I just had a week away from the net and have been catching up with all your posts. So good to see your lovely felt again, this is a super idea. Well done on putting your work in Art for All and enrolling on your courses, sounds as if you are going to be very busy this Autumn! x

Fiona said...

What a beautiful fabric you have created. Such a big project as well. I am sure it will look lovely up in a window.

brandi said...

~jasmine these pieces are gorgeous...the silk so delicate with the dyes swirling around...simply beautiful...your work you create is so fascinating to me as i have never seen anyone do such around here...i l♥ve seeing adn hearing about your processes in which you create and achieve such...wishing you well and a beautiful day filled with blessings~

Jasmine said...

Thank you Elizabeth, Gwen, Jules, Fiona & Faerwillow for the lovely comments. I'm stealing a quick break now before beginning the next step of a giant nuno felt. Not sure if it will be a blind or a blanket. Right now it is about 8ft x 5ft and incorporates the solar dyed silk in the pictures. Now, back to work! x

Karin Bartimole said...

I love those curlies in the nuno felt, too!! Your idea for your curtain sounds lovely, soft and light. The purple is gorgeous, and all your experiments celebrate subtlety and nature in a wonderful way, as usual!! beauty in the making Jasmine. xox K

Acornmoon said...

They certainly would make very cosy blinds. I would love to live in a cottage with black beams and stone walls!

lynne h said...

oh, wow... these will be beyond lovely in the windows, jasmine... xo

Titus said...

Jasmine, you so inspire me!
I'm going to have to look up the principles of nuno felting, as there's virtually half a fleece lying in the field out back and I could use it!
Beautiful pictures, good luck with the blinds.

Tammie Lee said...

all these techniques are so interesting to see and read about. I have often thought/wondered if wool curtains, at least for night (when it is dark out) would keep my little cabin warmer in the winter. I do have double paned glass.

I have worn both of your scarves this week. I love how warm they are for being so delicate and light.
xx

Manon said...

I also love the purple! Awesome fabric!!

Valerianna said...

Love the bottom cloths.... beautiful, and that purple is pretty amazing!

Theresa MacNaughton said...

This is so very gorgeous. I am fascinated with the nuno felt process and it was interesting to read how you went about creating this piece. It's perfect! Theresa

Helen said...

I love the results of your solar dyeing and nuno felt. I think your nuno felt will make a lovley blind.

Clowncar said...

Love what you're doing here. Even though I have no idea what "solar dyed silk" or "nuno felt" or (my favorite) "Blue Faced Leicester curls" are. You are increasing my fabric literacy.

ArtSparker said...

The horizontal light of winter through these curtains should be striking.

Anonymous said...

these are gorgeous, i love the one to the right..with the curly effect..very fleecy and your blinds sound wonderful.

a great purple you've got there too..beautifull little camellia's :)

it's great seeing how you bring your creations together in all their naturalness xx

Harnett-Hargrove said...

A lot of thinking and a lot of doing! Nice, and nice processing! -J

t said...

What fantastic dye results jasmine. the colours are beautiful. And such patience with the bundles.

xt

Felted House said...

I love using curly fibres but have only tried Wensleydale so far. It's a great idea to use the nuno as a natural looking blind and I'm sure it will make the room seem more cosy - I grew up in a sixteenth century cottage with black beams and fairly small windows, but unfortunately we had horrid nylon frilly net up as curtains in some rooms- nuno will be beautiful. xx

Anonymous said...

Very interesting processes.

Karen said...

Fantastic Jasmine , I am always fascinated by your work.
Beautiful!

dorie said...

such a beautifull result - I have started to be very curious about your big nunofelt..

Barb Forrister said...

Jasmine, I love the textures you are developing. They are wonderful!