Wednesday 7 October 2009

Theme Thursday - Collection

I love music. All kinds of music, except maybe some disco and contrived bands, Simon Cowell, Stock Aitken and Waterman style. I have a deep respect for poetic or meaningful lyrics. I love to hear a song sang well, an instrument mastered. I even like bands that are not that musically good but have a passionate feel good factor that prevents me from subduing a smile or tapping a foot.

Most of my friends are musicians.

I collect unusual instruments. Or rather, maybe I should say, I used to buy them as gifts for my dad and coveted them... I now buy them for my 3 year old daughter who is naturally drawn to anything capable of noise.

I have carried instruments that I don't know the names of from one continent to another. Instruments from Chang Mai that had crossed the borders from Laos. I would be stopped in the street by Thai folk beaming from ear to ear looking with a recognition and love of a rarity seldom seen.

These things I have bought for my dad. I once bought him a Cora. An African stringed/percussion instrument originating from an Island near Ghana. Plays like a harp and beats like drum. Its hard to explain.

My daughter has rain sticks, shaky things, nutshells on sticks, painted gourds, xylophones, recorders, harmonica's, and so much more. She has a drum kit, guitar, microphone, keyboard, steel drum... And yes, she loves and uses each one. She could even blow a hunting horn at 18 months.

On Monday, I went to see my grandfather sing in his Barbershop Band. He sings lead and at times Baritone. I had to blink back tears it was so beautiful. All of those men, tenor, lead, baritone and bass. Friends in Harmony. Complimenting each other beautifully. It made me think of my grandmother who died nigh on 20 years ago. She sang the songs that they sang, perfectly. The style may be dated but wow, we cant let this tradition fade. The group sang many semi-modern songs, such as Unchained Melody, a selection of Beatles, Lean on Me, Always look on the bright side of Life. But my favourite were the older nostalgic songs.

My granddad is the handsome chap in the centre

Tonight, we went to see some of the Barbershop members rehearse their Skiffle Band. A delight of folk songs sang and played with tea chest bass, kazoo's, tin whistles, guitar, harmonica and more. Old songs such as 'My old man's a dustman', 'Put a log on the fire', 'You are my sunshine'. There is something wonderful about seeing passionate people having fun and expressing themselves in a way that brings cheer to the hearts and ears of those they encounter.

There is always time for fun.

15 comments:

Brian Miller said...

too cool. would love to see some pics of the instruments. nice that you can pass it along to other generations as well. barbershop is a style you do not see much, but it definitely appreciated by me when done well. happy TT!

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a lovely post! I love music too!

Poetic Artist said...

What a great collections.. This is a good post, sharing about family.

velvetwoods said...

I concur on Simon Cowell, Stock Aitken and Waterman.
Music makes the heart sing and the body sway even if one can't dance or sing,now that's a wonderful thing I think.
Your daughther is so lucky ! I would like a rain stick.
I tried to learn guitar a few years ago as my ex-boyfriend was a muso but I was no good at it.
So I think I'll try the rain stick ! Your grandfather is a handsome chap.
Such a lovely post !

Susan Berlien said...

So cool. Go Grandad!!

Caio Fern said...

ohhh . i wish i was there to see this too . i love this kind of music and arragemants ...
and i didn't know you like so much musical instruments !!
me too , i love all , but i suck playing any one ....
see you Jasmine !!!
thank you for to share these moments !!!!

ArtSparker said...

Ah, you know...I admit to feeling envy for musicians, with the gestalt/camaraderie thing. How wonderful you can go see your grandfather engaged in this wonderful form of play.

Tammie Lee said...

How wonderful that you have so much music in your family! I love all those unique instruments that you talked about. And barber shop is just magic!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

A very unique collection...should be passed down generation to generation!

Wildflowerhouse said...

Oh Jasmine you should meet my 91 year old father in law. He makes his own instruments and gets together just like your grandfather with groups of people his age. They have a ball and yes we must keep the old music alive. Sharon

Wings1295 said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! :)

Tom said...

that's great, my son can play several instruments...but not any of the bizzarre ones you mentioned...was hoping to hear some of the barbershop on the links, but each of the 3 times i went there, there was none,,, sad.

Coffee Messiah said...

Real nice. My dad used to take us to barbershop recitals when I was growing up.

But skiffle, now you're talking. Have you recorded any of it?

Nice post and Cheers!

Unknown said...

Yes yes yes. Your careful words bespeak a lovely passion. Family, friends, a world connected by a love of novelty noisemakers: and children, deservedly playing lead wherever they go.
Music... probably the first thing to go when your looking for reasons to hate.

Ruthie Redden said...

Jasmine, i looove music too, many, many kinds (similar to you. it seems ) I was bought up with music & poetry & sounds, my grandad & grandma sang & played & now am surrounded by it as mr O is a musician as is my sis & we have wonderful opportunities to travel & listen to talented/passionate folks playing & singing allsorts. I love the idea of you carrying al those wonderful instruments from afar. You must have been so proud listening to your grandfather - these traditions are so precious. x