Sunday 25 October 2009

Fibre Experiments and Autumn Walks

From top left, going clockwise - Bamboo, green alpaca, merino, scoured Norwegian sheep wool.

Made into this large piece of fabric. My camera isn't really doing justice to the felt. The pattern is very pleasing. I was able to make this pattern because the wool had not been carded into rovings. I had to lay out each little bit at a time. My lovely P. helped me :) What you can't see in this picture are accents of green, navy and apricot alpaca running beneath the surface. You can't see the difference in texture between the bamboo and wool, which compliment each other very well.

I intend to make this into a granddad shirt (when I figure out how to use this sewing machine I just bought, quite a scary looking thing it is!)

Autumn leaves are like conkers, you just have to stop and look...


Pine cones smell wonderful on a log fire...

14 comments:

t said...

Your Autumn leaves are such beautiful warm earthy tones....and your fleece wow...

xt

ArtSparker said...

A warming visual stew for cold weather.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

This fabric looks like a faux exotic animal fur! Lovely. -Jayne

Jasmine said...

Thank you T - I don't know about you, but I love laying out the patterns for new pieces of felt. Quite meditative x

Susan - I hope it doesn't look like stew :)

Jayne - Thank you :)

patricia said...

I enjoy a lot when you share the process of your work. The photo of the autumn leaves is so rich as autumn itself.

Jasmine said...

Thank you Aleph,

This blog is as much to remind me of how I did things and what does and doesn't work as it is to show others. If I write things on paper or in books I lose it.

Wildflowerhouse said...

Jasmine I have been resisting trying to felt. I have so many projects I must finish. BUT everytime I visit your blog I can see I am going to be in trouble real soon. Your projects are fantastic. Sharon

Anonymous said...

Texture is a wonderful accent to Life.

Have fun with your fleece. Its grand to do things from scratch, knowing each step of the process till completion.

lynne h said...

jasmine, this felt is beautiful. it feels full of life to me! i'm amazed by how shiny the bamboo fiber is... it looks very soft.

Yvette said...

a quick kiss before my week at the revalidation centre...till next week...keep it good!

yvette

Shadow said...

pine cones, mmmmmmm, christmas!

Caio Fern said...

autumn leafes and fibre ......something cosing about this ...

Renee said...

I know absolutely nothing about wool but it sure is pretty.

Love Renee xoxo

Cathie said...

What a wonderfully ecclectic collection of work. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Your fiber work is wonderful.