Saturday 18 July 2009

A happy day

My wool and dyes arrived this morning from 'the threshing barn'. I'm so excited, the natural colours are wonderful. I have a mixture of Manx Langton, Blended Jacob, Doll Suffolk, Gotland and a mystery blend that came without a label, to the touch it feels most like blended Jacob, and is a beautiful pale grey colour. I'm not sure what breed the white wool is but it feels just like the wool I used to make the feet felt so I have high hopes for it.

The dyes are gaywool dyes. I chose 2 colours from the original range, daisy and crab apple, and two colours from the bush range, oak and iceberg. I'm looking forward to dyeing wool and seeing whether the primary colour dyes can be blended to create other colours or not.

I do have some reservations about the gaywool dyes in so far as the pot advises that they are manufactured in Australia and North America, air miles.... Once you start thinking in terms of the environmental impact of purchases it can be hard to shake that mind set. When I am more used to dyeing I can experiment further with home made vegetable dyes.

I'm still waiting for the felting books to arrive, maybe Monday!

1 comment:

ArtSparker said...

Very exciting. I know what you mean about environmental impact being everywhere (see earlier email).